17 October 2007

La nuit tous les chats sont gris...

So obviously it's been a while since I've posted. Thanks for reminding me, Beckey. Anywho. I have a little time to kill while I'm sitting outside the class that I just decided to drop. Yes, that makes two classes that I've left after the pause. What is wrong with me? I'm tired. That's what it is. I guess. Monday I decided not to take the lit class over the Middle Ages, because I would seriously all asleep every class period if I stayed in there. The teacher was so freaking annoying. He's one of those professors who really doesn't like his job and he is not enthusiastic about the subject at ALL. I was in the front row and it was still hard to understand what he was saying. Plus, he likes to ramble A LOT. Normally, this isn't a problem for me. Most of my teachers back home get off on tangents, even in HS. Beckey, all I'm going to say is "castles." But something seems a little strange when we're studying lit of the MA and a student asks a question about lit OF THE MA and the prof responds, not to the question of the aforementioned student, but rather by talking about his love of German pre-romanticists. Don't get me wrong. I love romanticism as much as the next person, but in the wise words of Mary Poppins, "there is a place for everything and everything in it's place."

Ok. Enough with that. What's going on this week? Tonight, there is a potluck dinner for all of the foreign students in one of the bars downtown. We're all supposed to bring a dish that is stereotypical of or from our country. What is stereotypical of the US? Initially I thought hamburgers, but then was yelled at by the germans :-). So as per the suggestion of my French roommate, Pierre, I am taking pancakes. I do believe I have the easiest dish ever, except for the fact that whenever I make pancakes, I use Bisquick. Therein lies the problem. It doesn't exist in France. Ugh. They have crêpe mix (mmmm, crêpes) out the ass; but alas, it's not the same. So I went to monoprix and found some prepackaged pancakes which I hope will do the trick. I also found maple syrup (mmm, maple syrup). It's no Aunt Jemima, but it will have to suffice. As for the other Americans, Jean made like 50 grilled cheese sandwiches (to which my roommate insisted we add some ham that he had in the fridge which would just make it a French croque-monsieur) and Claire made a green bean casserole. And to answer your question, apparently you can cook a casserole in a toaster oven.

Tomorrow is a big ERASMUS party at the RU and afterwards I'm sure we'll all end up at Charly's. As for the weekend, which I would like to take the opportunity to remind you starts on thursday night, no big plans. Just a tour of the cathedral on Saturday.

Now it's time for lunch so I have to go beat the line. More later.

Ciao