26 August 2007

NEW BASSOON!!!! Well, almost...

So I have big news, sort of. haha. After waiting two years, actually 6 if you count high school, a bassoon is finally within my grasp. No really... it's in the living room. There is only one problem. They* mailed me the wrong model. I know right? Sad times. What makes the situation even worse, is that I played the bassoon and absolutely LOVED it. Since I found out about the mix up, I've refused to play aforementioned bassoon anymore to help reduce separation anxiety. Of course I'm sure I will love the new bassoon even more. I mean, come on. The only difference is long bore vs. short bore and really, who can really tell the difference.**

So in about 2 days I should have the new new bassoon of my dreams. Let's hope it works out. I'm really happy because this means that I will definitely have a horn to take with me to France. Believe me, that is a big relief. About two weeks ago I was extremely stressed out about it. I'm pretty sure I would kill myself if I had to go 10 months without playing and there is always the possibility that I would have given it up had I not gotten my own bassoon. Alas, crisis averted.

So I was in Ktown this past week and it was really strange. First of all, I know that eventually I have to get older, but does that mean that the other college kids have to get younger? I mean really... I had 2 kids stop me and ask how to get to Ayres whose combined age had to be about 18. Not to mention the fact that they would randomly stop and ask me when I'm not even in classes this year due to the France thing, much less Ayres. How can you not know where Ayres is? I'm not going to lie, it made me a little sad to see people going to classes and not getting to myself. It was odd. What's worse is that I missed marching band. Well, that is until I heard the new pregame and was like, WTF?! How do you change pregame that much?! oh well. I'm sure 'twill be divine.

Anywho, I will be back in Ktown on Thursday until Saturday for a quick trip. so I'm looking forward to more awkwardness/good times. As for now, it is bed time. Damn you, morning shift. :-(


*American Bassoon Company, Inc.

**
Long Bore vs. Short Bore

For decades Fox has built two styles of bassoons: The long-bore models, liked for their warmer tone, even intonation and stability, and the short-bore models preferred by many orchestral players for their greater flexibility and projection.

In the early 1990s Fox added an additional variant: The thick-wall models which sought to
combine some of the most desirable characteristics of each of the other styles, while
providing a brawnier character to the voice of the instrument.

Instrument makers must consider and balance many physical aspects in the acoustic design
of an instrument: bore length, bore size and shape, as well as the diameter, length, shape and
positioning of the tone holes.




1 comment:

Liz said...

*gasp* yay BASSOON!!! i want to see pictures :-)